Monday, November 3, 2014

THE AMAZING JOURNEY FROM ENGINEER TO WRITER--FREE SCRIPTS

Finding the Words: a Writer’s Testimony
by Lisa E. Betz

Some people know they are meant to be a writer from childhood. I was not one of them. When I was young I did not consider writing to be one of my talents. Writing was a skill, something I had to master to get good grades. Nothing more. It wasn’t my passion. It wasn’t something I considered cool.
So I pursued a degree in engineering, using other God-given talents like my love of math and logical thinking style. During my years working in manufacturing, I was occasionally commended for reports I had written. I would smile politely and accept the compliments, but I thought nothing of it. I was an engineer who just happened to be good at writing. End of story.
Except it wasn’t. 
I left the workforce to become a stay-at-home mom. One day I decided to sign up for a writing course. I thought it was just a passing whim, but God had other plans. I quickly became hooked on writing, and began writing short drama sketches for church, VBS and school drama electives.  Some of my scripts made an impact—I could see that—but I did not yet consider writing a calling. My priorities revolved around my sons and their activities. Writing was merely a hobby.
Nevertheless, with each script I was honing my craft and building my confidence. Eventually I heeded my instructor’s advice to join a critique group. I began work on a novel, but I didn’t really believe anyone else would want to read it, because I still didn’t see my writing as a calling.
Then my sons went off to college and I faced an empty nest and a choice: What was I going to do with myself?
After much prayer I decided God was calling me to take writing seriously, to consider myself a writer and my writing a ministry. I needed to believe that if He wanted me to write, then He would help me get my words wherever they needed to go—even if I did not yet have any idea where that was or how to get there.
No more procrastination. No more excuses. It was time to buckle down and write.
It wasn’t long before I was confronted with the fact that any hopeful writer needs a blog. I knew nothing about blogging, but it seemed like a doable step, so I plunged in. It didn’t take long to discover that I enjoyed blogging. It was a different kind of writing than my novel-in-progress. But at first I misunderstood the purpose. I was blogging because “they” told me I had to, so I could gain a following and prove I was worth considering for a publishing contract.
Not exactly a God-directed mission statement.
But God patiently waited while I experimented and floundered. He sent me encouraging feedback. And finally it began to dawn on me that my blog was not for “them.” It was supposed to be a ministry. With the help of some wise writer friend, and advice from sites like thenester.com and goinswriter.com, I reassessed why I was blogging. Hopefully, my new About page reflects my more focused and others-centered purpose.
Someday I hope to become a published novelist, but in the meantime I am a writer, using my God-given talents to bring words of encouragement and inspiration to others. My words are making a difference in the world, and that is all that really matters.

Bio
Lisa Betz is a freelance writer, blogger and playwright. She has always loved books, especially ones that took her to far-off times and places. When not reading swashbuckling tales about Roman centurions or English knights, Lisa leads Bible studies, writes and directs dramas, works on her historical suspense novel and blogs about the struggles and victories of life in her empty nest. You can find her at http://LisaEBetz.com/

Script summaries by Lisa Betz

For free .pdf copies of these scripts contact Lisa at the above address.

The Jericho Parade – A humorous, modern-day version of blind Bartimaeus.  A group of sightseers gather outside Jericho hoping to watch Jesus arrive in town. None of them appreciates the blind beggar who interrupts the parade by asking Jesus to heal him. When the beggar returns and announces that he has been healed, the sightseers refuse to “see” the miracle.

Catering to the Crowd – A humorous, modern-day version of Jesus feeding the five-thousand. When Jesus asks his disciples to find a way to feed the huge crowd, some of the disciples discovers a caterer who claims she can help. While they discuss menu and cost options with the caterer, Andrew arrives with a boy who’s willing to share his meager dinner. In the end, even Martha-the-caterer is impressed with Jesus’ solution.

Motel VI – A humorous, modern-day dramatization of the good Samaritan involving an anxiety-ridden Jewish mother, two clerics with hectic schedules and a Dr. Pepper-drinking Samaritan traveler who helps a stranger to the nearest Motel VI.

To Volunteer or Not to Volunteer – a monologue asking for volunteers based on a medly of familiar Shakespearean quotes.

Keeping a List and Checking It Twice  – A man and wife discuss why trying to keep Christmas gift giving completely “fair” is missing the point.

Looking for the Nativity – A young couple who recently moved have a hard time finding the Christmas spirit because they are far from their family and familiar traditions.

The Great Announcement – Four angels with distinct personalities await God's great announcement, but only one of them pays attention to the insignificant village of Bethlehem.

The Guilty Man Went Free: An Easter Story – A Three-part drama featuring a modern-day Barabbas who accepts his guilt, finds himself unexpectedly freed and then comes face-to-face with the man who died in his place. The final scene, where Barabbas must make a choice between Jesus and his old life, is intentionally left ambiguous so discussion can follow.
                                                    





No comments:

Post a Comment