By Darcie J. Gudger
- Nothing like rubbing shoulders with teens to create characters. When did your lead characters come to life for you?
- What is your leading lady’s main problem? How did that develop as the character came to life?
- How do teens evaluate the importance of fitting in with the crowd?
- Do Christian teens have more confidence in themselves and their future than other youths?
- Where does this confidence come from—the kind that endures and creates long-lasting friendships?
- You discovered you didn’t fit your first chosen career and it resulted in health problems. What do parents need to know about teen emotions to help them find their niche in life?
- Are young people today concerned about finding and being in God’s will and plan for their lives?
- Do most have goals connected with their faith?
- How are teachers, even youth leaders and Sunday school teachers, equipped to help youth in their emotional journeys?
- What part does God’s Word play to give them hope and peace?
- How do the characters in your book find joy and peace?
- Does the humor in your writing stem from your experiences in the classroom?
Sophomore Kisrie Kelley longs to fit in. Instead, she’s always been a misfit, a fact her nemesis Wendy won’t let her forget. At least she’s got color guard and photography, right? She almost feels normal when she’s out on the field performing or behind the lens. Truth be told, they’re the only reasons she even shows up at school, though her professor mom thinks they’re both a waste of Kisrie’s time. Add a serious affinity to Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups that has her battling the bulge and a pestering “prodigy” little sister who thinks she’s a bush baby, and Kisrie’s contemplating moving to a different planet. The stakes are raised even higher when she overhears Wendy plotting against Kisrie’s English-teacher uncle all over a stupid grade! Should Kisrie snitch and risk Wendy’s wrath? Ever since elementary school the young beauty queen has bullied Kisrie as if it were an Olympic sport. Who’s going to believe Wendy’s story anyway? Everything spins out of control as vicious rumors fly and lives are on the line. Only the truth can set them all free, but will it be too late?